Call 24/7 (920) 222-2222

Can You Sue If You Get Hurt in a Crash While Traveling Out of State?

The holiday season is upon us, and that means many people will be traveling both within Wisconsin and to other states to visit family and friends. If you’re involved in a crash in the state, you may feel confident moving forward with an auto accident claim. But if your crash occurs after you’ve traveled into another state, you may be less sure of what will happen next.

The good news is that you can still file a claim as normal, even if your crash occurs thousands of miles from home. Your auto insurance protects you wherever you are. However, depending on where your crash occurred, your chances of getting compensation from the other driver may vary.

States have different amounts of required auto insurance liability coverage. While most states require only $25,000 per person in coverage, some require $20,000, $15,000, or less. In addition, the amount of total liability per crash can vary greatly. Some states require $30,000, and some require $50,000, for example.

Having uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, which is required by law in Wisconsin, can help you recoup some of the financial damages you incurred after your crash if the other driver is uninsured or doesn’t have enough coverage to compensate you. Wisconsin’s requirement is $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for bodily injury, but increasing this amount can be helpful.

At Brian Hodgkiss Injury Lawyers, we know that there are some unique challenges associated with out-of-state crashes that go beyond insurance requirements. Contact our Green Bay auto accident lawyers for a free consultation if you’re injured in a crash that wasn’t your fault.

Get Help Now

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.