Call 24/7 (920) 222-2222

Is There a Difference Between Crashes Involving Long Haul and Local Trucks?

When you’re involved in a crash with a big truck, it probably doesn’t matter very much to you whether the truck was making a delivery from California or from a couple of blocks away. All you know is that you suffered serious injuries and need compensation for your medical bills and lost wages. But where the truck is from and what type of commerce it’s used for can matter quite a bit for your claim.

Trucks that regularly use federal interstates and highways and that cross state lines are subject to restrictions and guidelines enforced by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). This agency is part of the U.S. Department of Transportation, and it regulates virtually every aspect of the interstate trucking business. Its regulations cover everything from maintenance schedules and load maximums to rest schedules and licensing requirements.

Local trucks, on the other hand, are subject to far fewer regulations. Drivers may not even need CDLs, depending on the size of the trucks they’re driving and what they’re used for. In addition, big trucks used for local purposes aren’t always used for business—they can be rental vehicles used to transport personal items from point A to point B.

Because there’s a big difference in the requirements to safely and legally drive local trucks vs interstate-based trucks, there’s also a difference in how liability is assigned and how compensation is awarded. If you were hurt in a crash with a big truck, it’s important to get an experienced Appleton truck accident lawyer on your side right away.

At Brian Hodgkiss Injury Law, we’ll work hard to determine who was at fault for your crash, calculate your damages, and get you maximum compensation. Contact us today.

Get Help Now

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.